Birmingham MI Sleep Apnea Clinic – Birmingham TMJ and Sleep (586) 979-1900
If you are in need of a top rated Birmingham MI Sleep Apnea Clinic, please contact Birmingham TMJ and Sleep at (586) 979-1900 to schedule a consultation. Click here to learn more about our sleep apnea services or Follow Us on Facebook!
One of the most common sleep disorders is sleep apnea, which occurs when your breathing starts and stops during sleep. It’s a serious health risk, affecting up to 18 million Americans, including children.
The 9 most common signs of sleep apnea include:
- Loud snoring, which is more often seen in obstructive sleep apnea
- Times where your bed partner notices you stop breathing
- Waking abruptly with shortness of breath, which is more often seen in central sleep apnea
- Having a dry or sore throat when you awake
- Difficulty staying asleep
- More daytime sleepiness, which can lead to work-related mishaps or traffic accidents
- Problems with attention and concentration
- Getting up to urinate during the night
Sleep problems affect more than your energy level and daytime functioning. Poor sleep can increase the risk of other health conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes.
Sleep apnea is seldom fatal by itself. However, it can increase the risk of high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, obesity and diabetes. Additionally, it is linked to worsening heart failure and irregular heartbeats. If you have sleep apnea, it can making treating chronic diseases complicated, too.
The best way to know if you have sleep apnea is to undergo a sleep pattern study as part of your initial work-up.
For an experienced and trusted Birmingham MI Sleep Apnea Clinic, call Birmingham TMJ and Sleep at (586) 979-1900 for more information.